suicide prevention is everybody's business
The Lighthouse Newsletter
- The Lighthouse is the quarterly newsletter for Touched by Suicide, Survivors Gather (TBS,SG), whose primary mission is to provide a “safe harbor” for survivors who find comfort in coming together in an atmosphere of acceptance, hope and understanding.
Urgent Request: Call for Submissions
- If you know of interesting persons, organizations and/or events concerned with suicide prevention that would be useful to others, please send us information about them. Also, it would be particularly helpful to share new publications and media that you value.
- … What have you read recently that strikes you as helpful? A book, article, or brochure? (Provide a reference, summary review or just a quote)
… What educational program have you participated in or heard about? Where? When? What was unique about this approach to prevention?
… What organizations are you familiar with that are doing an excellent job pursuing prevention?
… Who do you know who is carrying out suicide prevention practices in a meaningful way? Briefly describe.
… What are some ideas you have for ways that TBS,SG might contribute to suicide prevention?
By addressing any or all of these questions and sharing them in this newsletter, whether you live in our service area or beyond, you will be making a worthy contribution to suicide prevention.
Guidelines for Submission
- — All submissions greatly appreciated – stories, poems, news items, critiques, references and reviews
- — Handwritten, typed or e-mailed items will be accepted
- — We may edit or condense submissions for clarity and/or space limitations
- — Credit is your decision – full name, first name, initials or anonymous. Hometown will be included unless requested otherwise
- — Items will not be returned unless requested
- — Editor assistance is available for advising on composition, flow, length, etc.
- Please send your stories to Bud Wiener, Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 705 S. 6th St., Oregon, IL 61061, 815-732-7486. To get a postal mail subscription, contact: The Lighthouse, c/o Sinnissippi Centers, 325 Illinois Route 2, Dixon, IL 61021; or send an email to subscribe. Download back issues in PDF, below (require Adobe® Reader). (Note: some issues are in printer spreads, not typical reader format; we apologize for any inconvenience).
Download back issues
- Summer/Fall 2014 Contents: From the Editor 1&2; Readers Response 1; Have You Seen — Resources 2; Have All the Stories Been Told 2; Book Signing & discussion (Losing Tim by Janet Burroway) 3; Two Newspaper Articles 3; Book Review, The Top Five Regrets of the Dying (Bronnie Ware) 4; Depression to Mania 5 & 6
- Fall 2013 Contents: From the Editor 1 & 2 (Guest Editor Cliff Knapp); Suicide With No Warning 2; Commentary 3; Some Suicide Statistics 3; Prelude to Weightlessness 4; Another NFL Suicide 4; Weightlessness 5; A Buddhist Approach to Suicide Prevention 6; Making an Impact Through Film & Video 6; Book Review 7; Swiss Executive Died by Suicide 7; You Now Have a Choice 8
- Summer 2013 Contents: From the Editor 1 & 2; A Wyoming Perspective 2; A Mother’s Love & Determination 3 & 4; Japan Youth In Distress 4; Suicide Among Veterans 5; Suicides and Access to Guns 5; New Hampshire Support Groups 5; Suicide in America 5; Still Standing 6; June 8th Suicide Prevention Walk 7; Baby Boomers 7; The Suicide Epidemic 8
- Spring 2013 Contents: From the Editor 1&2; Lighthouse Winter Issue Timing 3; Poem: My Long Gone Son, Ryan 3; Searching for Connections: An Interview With Kim Brabender 4&5; Back In Time 6; Psychological Effects of Global Warming 7; A Readers Response 7; A Website Resource 7; New Veterans Health Benefits Handbook 8
- Winter 2013 Contents: From the Editor 1; Briefly Stated 1; Back in Time 2; Living With Complex-PTSD 3; Suicide Among Service Members 4; A Reader’s Response 4; Book Review: Night Falls Fast, by Kay Redfield Jamison 5; A Lighthouse for Me 6; A Mother’s Plea 7; PTSD Among Soldiers and Veterans 8
- Fall 2012 Contents: From the Editor 1&2; Have You Seen? 2; Back in Time 3; I Will Sing You Home 4; Poem: Sing You Home 5; Courage Examined 6; Book Review: Looking for Alaska, by John Green 7; Miki the Therapy Dog 7; Faces of Suicide Changing 8
- (2 documents) Summer 2012a Contents: From the Editor 1-2; Urgent Request 1; Letters to the Editor 2; Veterans Committing Suicide 3; Schizophrenia and Suicide 5; Newspaper Headlines 5; Commentary on Van Gogh 6; Murder and Suicide in Arizona 6 Summer 2012b Contents: Two Disturbing Commentaries 3; A Teen’s Take on Suicide Prevention 4
- (2 documents) Spring 2012a Contents: From the Editor 1; Recognizing Higher Risk of Suicide With Depression 1; Healing in the Now 2; Suicide Prevention and Suicide Advocacy 5; Suicide Rates Reported 6; Guidelines for Submitting Items to the Lighthouse 6 Spring 2012b Contents: Book Review I: Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature, by Kathleen Dean Moore 3; Book Review II: Why People Die By Suicide, by Thomas Joiner 3; Back in Time 4; Spring, 2003 to Spring, 2012 4
- Winter 2012 Contents: From the Editor 1; Book Reviews: Lies In Silence, by S. J. Hart; The Virgin Suicides, by Jeffrey Eugenides, 2; A Different Kind of Suicide 3; Neighbors Complain 3; A Suicide Despite Negotiator 3; Back in Time - I 4; Back in time - II 4; Julie's Story 5&6; The Coroner's Role 7; Suicide Prevention Efforts by Canadian Church 8
- Fall 2011 Contents: From the Editor 1; An Unnecessary Tragedy 2-3; Book Review: Mind on the Run: A Bipolar Chronicle, By Dottie Pacharis 4; Reader Response 4; Risk and Prevention for LBGT Youth 5; Back in Time 6; Condolence Letter Policy 6; International Survivors of Suicide Day 6; National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention 7; Suicide Attempt Rate of Vets in College 8
- Summer 2011 Contents: From the Editor 1; Out of Darkness Walk 1; Kevorkian Dies at 83 2; Two New Tool Kits Available 2; Suicide on Campus 2; Back in Time 3; Suicide Remains Epidemic in Alaska 3; Poem: In Memoriam 4; Finding Peace and Understanding 5; Jo's Story 6; Christopher's Suicide 7; Dave Duerson — Former Chicago Bear 8
- (2 documents) Spring 2011a Contents: From the Editor 1; Choosing to Die 1; Responding to Suicide in Princeton 2; Poem: My Son My Son 5; In the News 6 Spring 2011b Contents: The Many Ways Suicide Has Touched My Life 3&4
- (2 documents) Winter 2011a Contents: From the Editor 1; Need Information Online? www.suicide.org 1; Preventing Military Suicide 2; Suicide at Fort Hood 2; Teacher's Death Exposes Tensions in Los Angeles 2; Headlines and More 5; Borderline Personality Disorder 6; Suicide Risk After Heart Attack 6 Winter 2011b Contents: Back in Time 3; Letters to the Editor 3; Poem: Reading the Obits 4; Book Review: Expression and Survival: An Aesthetic Approach to the Problem of Suicide, by Craig Greenman 4
- Fall 2010 Contents: From the Editor 1; Suicide in Rural America 1; Out of the Darkness 1; Poem: Leaf 2; Art: Single Leaf Falling 2; Art: Twisting in the Night 3; Art: Reaching 3; Poem: The Bumper Sticker 4; Poem: My Friend is Dying 5; Poem: Perspective 6; Book Reviews: Struck By Living: From Depression to Hope, by Julie K. Hersh, In Her Wake, A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her Mother's Suicide, by Nancy Rappaport 7; Saving Lives in Australia 8; Letter to the Editor 8
- Summer 2010 Contents: From the Editor 1; Check It Out 1; In the News 2; Suicide in the Marine Corps 2; Deciding What to Print 2; Responses and Reactions 3&4; Results From The Out of the Darkness Walk 4; Coming in the Fall Issue 4; Attending the Gathering 5; Back in Time I & II 5; Subscriber Feedback 6; Mass Media Headlines 6; Milton Bradley, Seattle Mariner 6
- Spring 2010 Contents: From the Editor 1; Words of Encouragement 1; Walks for Suicide Prevention 2; Back in Time 2; Bullying Leads to Suicide 2; A Guide for Funeral Directors 3; A Good Friend Takes His Life 3; A Day in a Life 4; Call for Submissions 5; Datelines 5; Diagnosis Dementia and Suicide 6
- Winter 2009 Contents: From the Editor 1; LivingWorks Suicide Education Program 2; A Reader's Reflection 2; Elderly Depression and Suicide 3; Another Method of Suicide — His Way 4; A Thoughtful Letter to the Editor 4; A Social Worker Copes With Crisis 5; Luminaries Along the Path 6; Book Review: Lincoln’s Melancholy, by Joshua Wolf Shenk 6; From the Editor, continued 7; Back in Time 8
- Summer 2009 Contents: From the Editor 1; My Story Never Shared Before 2; Three Day Suicide Training at Fort Campbell 3; In the News 3; Suicide Note Left by South Korea's Ex-President 3; Mental Health Service at the [Ogle] County Level 4; Checking in at the VA 5; Back in Time 6; Suicide Rate in Illinois 6; Assistance in Dying 6; Call for Poetry 7; A long Journey in the Dark 8